Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sketchbook Page

アキラ41

Here is one of the many pages from my Moleskine sketchbook, a sketchbook that I have been slowly working in for a year now. My process for these pages is quite time consuming especially given the space and the amount of detail I put into them (also not to mention that the entire page must be filled and rendered).


My pace has been accelerating since the discovery of a new artistic approach. I use photographs of models and use their contours and other compositional elements to give me a general starting point, which I pencil out on tracing paper an then transfer to my sketchbook. Once transferred I use a ZEBRA F-301 pen to line-out my idea, which is always never preplanned, but rather in an automatic, flow of consciousness approach. After I have penned out the page I use FABER-CASTELL PITT pens (four pens that range from Bold to Extra Fine) and then begin rendering. In the earlier pages of my book I solely used the ZEBRA pen to line and render my pages. With the Faber-Castells I found I can be more loose and get some really great contrast.

The title you see uses the Japanese characters for "Akira" and yes it is from the anime. As I progressed through my sketchbook and began using more organs, muscles, and tendons I found that my pages seemed to take on the likeness of the organic blob thing of Tetsuo at the film's end. I appropriated the Akira name to the book's series and the page number the piece is found on in the sketchbook.



No comments:

Post a Comment